Skip to main content

County Quilt Show

Yesterday I attended our county quilt show, which was moved from February to November by the local guild in hopes of attracting more traffic. I skipped the 2018 show because I was worried about catching the flu after the shots proved ineffective for about half the people who got them. So I was eager to attend this year's show.

The above is my favorite quilt from the whole show. I love the colors and the optical illusion of movement it has. It felt so lovely to be at the show, too. I gave up all my sewing and quilting this month for NaNoWriMo, and I've missed it.

I'll get all of my gripes out of the way first. There were a lot of machine-embroidered quilts this year, probably about a third of the entries, of which I'm not a big fan. They looked perfect, like something you'd buy in a store. The other quilts in the show were mostly simple patterned or kit quilts. I saw one whole cloth quilt, and no crazies at all. Almost everything was machine quilted, too. I think what was shown is a sign of the times for quilters like me who like to do hand work.

This quilt was machine quilted but hand-embroidered, giving me a little hope.

This one also cheered me up a bit.

Here's what I bought at the show, mostly from the guild boutique, as the money they earn goes right back to the guild. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more finished quilts, as my closets are overflowing with them, but what was for sale was pricey and not to my taste, so it wasn't hard to resist.

I couldn't pass up a pile of McCall's Quilting magazines for $2.00. They're all pretty recent issues, too.

Two scrap fabric stacks for $5.00, also a bargain.

I liked these two quilt tops, both of which were dirty cheap at $18.00, and labeled "Finish Me." How could I resist?

In the end I had fun, which is all that matters.

Comments

nightsmusic said…
Your favorite pick is wonderful! It really does have the movement and illusion I like as well. I do fear for the traditional hand quilting though. I'm seeing more and more machine quilting as well and it's...sad. Quilting is an art form. Making sure the stitches are just so, same length, same tightness. You don't get that with a machine. Not the human element of it.

I have an all white quilt made of bleached muslin. I've never measured it, but it would probably be considered a double size. It's not patchwork either. But it is hand quilted in close, intricate patterns and it's just lovely. I'll send you a picture of some of the quilting. It must have taken a long time. I think I bought it for a dollar at a garage sale with a couple others.

That quilt piece with the yellow gold border? Stunning! I caught my breath on that one.
the author said…
Wholecloth quilts are definitely collectible. They represent the ultimate challenge for a quilter (or did in the old days before all the machined stuff.)

That piece you like will then be yours -- you just have to wait a bit for it. :)
nightsmusic said…
Oh, Lynn! You don't have to do that!

I took a couple pictures of the white one I have though. I'll send them to you. I don't know how much you can really see the pattern because all the stitching is white as well, but they're roses. The stitches are tiny and uniform and I bought it in a quilt bin box at one of the antique shows in Saline, Michigan. It's not too far from us and they have them monthly in the summer.
the author said…
Oh, you're definitely getting this one. :)

The pics you e-mailed are cool. I'd say it's an older quilt, and definitely worth preserving.

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.