Skip to main content

If At First You Don't Succeed

I've heard countless artists from all corners of the creative world complain about becoming stuck or paralyzed and being unable to produce anything. I'm practically plagued with inspiration; I've never suffered from writer's block, and if a non-writing creative project doesn't work out I go to the next one. My philosophy at this age is "Life is too short. Move on."

Not everyone has my mindset, and I get that. Self-doubt is almost as contagious and unpleasant as cyclosporiasis. The creative life is often like walking a tightrope, well, forever. If you struggle with being stuck, try one of my approaches:

Aside setting: I want to put this first because to me this really is the most important skill a creator can develop, as long as they don't abuse it. Set things aside. It's okay to do that; sometimes things don't work out. Sometimes the project takes so long it's exhausting you. If you are struggling every single day, and you hate what you're working on, and it's keeping you stalled, set it aside.

I once set aside a quilt I was hand stitching for eight months because it was taking so long and that was driving me crazy (I only work on one project at a time.) When I finally returned to it I was able to finish it in a much better state of mind.

Color therapy: Go to a home improvement store and visit the paint section. Gather some paint chips in colors that you like together. Now go home and use that palette as inspiration for a scene, a small project or write about them in a journal. What do they help you see in your head?

I often collect paint chips when figuring out a palette for a project. Another way to do this is with yarn, thread or fabric, although if you buy them that can get a bit pricey. Paint chips are free. :)

Get out of the house: Parks, museums, antique shops and any place where hand crafted items are on display are some of my favorite places to gather inspiration. So are historic neighborhoods.

Hiking and walking tours have become a major source of inspiration to me. Very often I'll see a scene spread out in front of me or a building that later inspires or becomes part of a story (like this beautiful old house in Cocoa Village.)

Letter it: Sometimes I will sit down and write a letter to no one in particular about my frustrations. I let myself say whatever I want, be as hateful and childish as I never allow myself to be, and really channel all those negative feelings into words. I blame whoever and whatever I like for my problems. Once I've gotten out all the poison, I'll let it sit for a day or two and then I'll read what I've written. Looking at my emotions that way helps me see them as angry monkeys just jumping around my brain. Then -- usually with great pleasure and relief -- I delete the letter.

Be careful with this one. The angry monkeys can hurt more than you. I used to have a file called Letters Never Sent that I actually kept a few of those hateful rants in because they were pretty funny, but I didn't want my family to read them if something happened to me, so I deleted that, too.

Make a Creative Break Project: Very difficult and long-term projects are usually the ones that frustrate us the most. So, take a break from your paralyzing problem and do something else that's small, easily accopmplished and makes you feel good about yourself.

I have all kinds of little side projects I can make in one day when I need to take a break and do something simpler: bookmarks, mug rugs, one-skein crochet projects, etc. Finishing something makes you feel better. Try it.

Show some gratitude: It's easy to dwell on our failures. Why not be thankful instead for our victories? Go through your photo archives and look at projects that you've finished that made you happy. If you have them on hand, take them out and hold them. Then offer gratitude that you are capable of creating to your higher power, the universe, or just life in general.

What seems like failure is often just a point where you need a mind or attitude reset. One of the best ways to feel good about yourself and what you're working on is to remember that everything is not a struggle. I have never understood people who believe that suffering is part of creating. No. Suffering is what we overcome through creating. When you are an artist in any field, you are creating inspiration for others. You can't do that if you believe everything you do is an automatic fail.

Finally, when you are running short on inspiration, staying power, or you're just having a bad week, forgive yourself. You are human. This stuff happens. It's okay. They say to ask yourself "Will it matter in a hundred years?" I say, "Why does it matter so much at all?" Life truly is short, and you'll learn that the older you get. So, free yourself from expectations of perfection, because believe me, no one is perfect and never will be.

Image credit: the first pic in this post came from BigStockPhotos.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Loves & Such

My guy kindly bought me my favorite Chinese take out the other night, and my fortune cookie offered up an interesting story starter: This sounds sweet, right? Only the first thing I thought of was an old love coming back from the dead . . . . must be October. In other lovely news, my favorite hand-dyed thread artist, Lorraine from Colour Complements , is moving her business from Etsy to her own web site. Many of my favorite sellers on Etsy are leaving due to the whole "free shipping" coercion debacle, which has also soured me on the site. To show support I did a little shopping at Lorraine's web site and got in these: I love her threads and trims; you simply can't buy anything like them anywhere. Her work makes my specialty thread box look like a treasure chest: At night I'm spending just as hour working on quilting the scrap project runner, and I'm making slow progress: I'll keep quilting the runner while I try to decide on a design for t...

Wild Ride

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...

Progress

My guy is back home safe, sound and exhausted. I think he just realized he's over seventy now. :) I didn't finish a sewing project while he was gone, but I did make some progress on the beach bag. I've tacked down all the fabric elements on top of the old backing fabric I quilted. Time to break out the embroidery thread box and have some fun.