Skip to main content

Summer GreenCraft

The Summer 2026 issue of GreenCraft magazine just came out, and it's just as amazing as every other issue for ideas on how to upcycle, repurpose and reuse things that might otherwise end up in the trash.

Amy Camuglia's wearable art project is right up my alley -- I have so many fabric scraps they fill a bin, and a smaller stitch project is better for me these days. She turns her pieces into unique pendants and brooches.

I've also been feeling the itch to make some assemblage jewelry, and Jenny Youg's Beauty in the Lost & Found details how to add antique objects as well as unusual chains to create memorable pieces.

The one project I am absolutely going to try is Christen Hammons' A New Spin on an Old Bag, for which I can use some of the eleven drawstring bags I still have on hand (I had to buy a dozen to make my nephew's bag of money housewarming gift.)

The issue also has a neat article on how to dye using natural botanicals, which I've always wanted to try, as well as ways to use paper scraps, sari fragments, old vintage photo holders and turn them into art, useful packaging and display pieces. Best of all none of it requires you to hold a degree in engineering or rocket science, something I always appreciate. :) This issue should keep me out of trouble for the rest of the summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Loves & Such

My guy kindly bought me my favorite Chinese take out the other night, and my fortune cookie offered up an interesting story starter: This sounds sweet, right? Only the first thing I thought of was an old love coming back from the dead . . . . must be October. In other lovely news, my favorite hand-dyed thread artist, Lorraine from Colour Complements , is moving her business from Etsy to her own web site. Many of my favorite sellers on Etsy are leaving due to the whole "free shipping" coercion debacle, which has also soured me on the site. To show support I did a little shopping at Lorraine's web site and got in these: I love her threads and trims; you simply can't buy anything like them anywhere. Her work makes my specialty thread box look like a treasure chest: At night I'm spending just as hour working on quilting the scrap project runner, and I'm making slow progress: I'll keep quilting the runner while I try to decide on a design for t...

Fell Off the Wagon

I did cut up that plastic dollar tote to make into something stronger, but got caught up with work and set it aside. Then last night some hand-dyed silk and pretty threads called my name, and, well . . . Felt SO good to do some handwork, except my neck began hurting about an hour into it. I tried changing the way I sit and work, but it's pretty obvious that the doc is right.

Wild Ride

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...