Skip to main content

Chilly

Watching the dystopian SF film The Colony was a bit like being trapped in a small, cold room while being forced to listen to other people's climate and feminists rants. Fortunately just as I was ready to give up on the whole thing it turned into a different movie, one that actually engaged me on a couple different levels.

In an unspecified future the elitists of humanity live on Kepler 209, a distant planet that they fled to after Earth became uninhabitable (thanks to humanity, of course.) Only these lucky few have become sterilized by radiation in just two generations (probably from lack of an ozone layer, I'm guessing; almost nothing about Kepler 209 is shown in the film) and want to return to Earth before they literally die out to see if that will jumpstart their reproductive systems. The science there is pretty non-viable, but maybe they have some magic pills to go along with their ridiculous new dream. Via some weather stations they left behind they find one small habitable zone and send a mission back to see if they can live there, which supposedly fails. The movie begins with the landing of the second mission.

Blake (brilliantly depicted by Nora Arnezeder) is a member of the second mission, and wants to find her father, who went missing with the first. Of course the landing of her capsule fails miserably, killing one crew member and wounding another. Earth seems to have turned into a giant, featureless tidal estuary that is perpetually wet and misty, and floods every day, so everyone lives in water or mud. There are a few rusting indicators of civilization, and everyone wears clothing. Sidebar: I doubt textiles would have lasted this long under these conditions, but okay. Raggedy, vicious humans then attack and grab Blake and her commander, who also quickly dies by suicide in captivity. Now Blake is on her own with people she can't communicate with, and then they're attacked by another bunch of raggedy vicious humans who abduct the female children.

Although she has absolutely no reason to help, Blake goes with one of the mothers to rescue her daughter, and ends up a prisoner. She's take to the rotting hulk of a naval ship where the only survivor of the first mission from Kepler (played by Iain Glen) has organized and civilized the "mud people." He welcomes her but sadly tells her that her father is dead. Blake quickly discovers he's a big fat liar, learns the truth from her imprisoned father, and then goes on her own mission to save the abducted girl, save the mud people and stop the elitists from Kepler from returning to Earth, with mixed results.

The movie had to cram a lot of story into just an hour and forty-four minutes, so there aren't a lot of nuances that probably would have made it better. It's also at times an overly long finger-wagging lecturing soapbox rant about everything that sucks with humanity, so be forewarned. Despite all that, I liked it, mainly due to the acting by Nora Arnezeder. I also preened a little over the sterilization via radiation on Kepler 209 plot note, as that's something I've predicted will happen to humans if we leave our planet to colonize Mars. I also liked the casting, which I thought was pretty spot-on for every role. This definitely isn't a feel-good film, but it was interesting and, when the action picks up, very absorbing. Available on Netflix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.