Skip to main content

Wild Then Whimpering

I knew going in that watching the c-drama age gap romance The Forbidden Flower was probably going to disappoint me. It did, and exactly in the way I expected it would, but for the first 23 episodes I was startled, impressed and somewhat addicted.

The premise: young artist He Ran (Xu Ruo Han) meets Xiao Han (Jerry Yan) in a beauty shop; he washes her hair for her and she supposedly falls for him just from the sound of his voice. Basically the set up here is that she's 20 and wealthy, and he's 40 and impoverished. I'd say the age gap is about the same for the actors in real life, but Jerry Yan is very attractive for a middle-aged guy, so you're willing to go along with this. He Ran decides on the basis of that one encounter to pursue Xiao Han, which she does. Only she has leukemia (in remission), and he's apparently had a very troubled past with women (never exactly detailed.)

There are a lot of other players in this drama. Subplots abound, too, including He Ran's troubled mother and her secret office romance with a guy twenty years her junior; a childhood friend who loves He Ran to distraction and provides most of the comic relief; a wealthy uncle or friend who mysteriously steps in now and then to avert disaster, etc. Some of the subplots were distracting, others worked well with the main romance. I absolutely hated He Ran's mom in the beginning, and then fell in love with her by the end of the series. That's pretty hard to pull off, so I'll give that a gold star.

The series is pretty wild for a Chinese drama, which are regularly and strictly censored by the state. This one somehow escaped that and had plenty of (for China, anyway) steamy kissing scenes between the main and the secondary characters. The central romance seems predictable, and then goes crazy, and then goes crazy again. There are some cultural aspects that might not translate well for the west, but I understood them, in particular some of the weird-to-us things He Ran does toward the end.

Visually the series is stunning, both in how it was shot and the way the story is told. I don't think I've ever seen a more artistic drama, and since art is a huge part of the story that sold me and kept me watching. The whimper came at the end, which was what I'd predicted to myself it would be. I won't detail it, but it was probably regarded as clever by someone who reads a lot of Nicholas Sparks or something. Every woman who watches it is probably going to get pissed off. Still, it's a beautifully-made series and definitely rare for China. I'll recommend it for those reasons. Available on Viki.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.