Skip to main content

Hope and Gratitude

With Thanksgiving looming I've been thinking a lot about my dad lately. Not sadly, or even fondly, but just with longing. Having him here during the holidays would make it easier on me. He loved Thanksgiving, and cooking a big dinner, and gathering everyone at the table to share it. He really liked the way I made turkey, and preferred my stuffing to my mom's (although being a very good husband, he never told her that.) Dad's probably the reason Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. He even made Christmas bearable for me.

Dad would have been in his late eighties for this pandemic, so in one sense I'm glad he never lived to see it. For once Alzheimer's probably would have spared him a lot if he had lived this long. He had so many friends in NYC, and odds are some of them didn't survive the first wave. He would have had to see the idiot ways it's become politicized, and how much all the squabbling has cost our country.

That said, part of me still wishes he was here and lucid so I could talk to him about the dread and despair and unhappiness that has been most of 2020, and how poorly I've dealt with it along with all my personal issues and losing both dogs in just a few weeks. He was the one person I could say anything to, no matter how upsetting it was. Since he died sometimes I feel like I've been abandoned.

What I would say to him if he was still here: we've all felt so scared at various times in our lives that we want to hide out under the bed permnanently, but that feeling has been 2020 for me. There's so much hatred, so much wrong, so much death. It's turned too many people into monsters. I feel horribly guilty for being so depressed about losing my pups when families are losing people they love, but Cole and Skye were my loves. I've got a loop running in my head: With all everyone is coping with, how do we hold onto hope? What if next year is worse? What if it never gets any better? How do we go on with so much darkness blanketing America and the rest of the world? Is this the beginning of the end, and do I really have to live to see that?

Dad wouldn't be angry with me for how I feel. He understood me like no one else ever has. He might not know what I need to do in order to get through the rest of the year, but he would listen, and then he would tell me a story about something he went through in the past. Dad never had an easy life. It was something that we bonded over, I think.

Knowing him, I think he would remind me first of the years that we did have together. I never think about that -- how much time we actually had. He came into my life when I was 15 and stayed until I was 50. For 35 years that man loved me unconditionally, always supported me no matter what, and made me a much better person. He was always, always happy to see me. If you have someone like that in your life then you know what a difference it makes. I think he'd also tell me to go out and get another dog because life is too short not to have at least one more to love. Two would even be better.

Dad showed me the type of person I want to be, by being just who he was. He had to deal with a lot of health issues for the last 10 years of his life, but he didn't let them shadow his life. He ignored politics and hate for his faith and love. He always brought people who were alone during the holidays to share our family dinners. He didn't just go to church and pray, although he did that every Sunday. He mowed the church lawns and did carpentry work and anything else the pastor needed fixing. Even after he retired he went out on weekends to feed the homeless and ran the church's thrift store.

The last time I talked with Dad when he was lucid, which was about six months before he died, we were sitting on the porch with the dogs. It was April, and he was just basking in the sun. He didn't complain about his disease, or whine about how hard it had been on him. He looked out at my big back yard and said to me, "It's beautiful here. It's just where you should be."

It's still beautiful here, Dad. I'm still here, too. For hope I will hold onto the love that you taught me means more than anything else, and that you always gave me no matter what. I will be grateful for all the time we had, and the light you left behind in my heart. No darkness can take that from me.

If the memory of you could help me out with the rest, Dad, I'd love that, too.

Comments

nightsmusic said…
No words, but lots of hugs and I know how you feel. I do.
Maria Zannini said…
Your dad sounds like he led by example.

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.