Skip to main content

We Can't Dodge Them Ten

Ten Things I'm Doing Differently to Survive the Holidays

Adding Letters to Cards:We don't do a lot of visiting during the holidays, but the few people we usually go to see are all at high-risk for covid-19. So instead they'll be getting a card in the mail with a letter (hopefully handwritten) from me with something funny to boost their spirits.

Altering Gift-Giving Strategies: This year I'm going to make at least one gift for the immediate family, which is my usual thing. However, I'm not going to do any shopping at all. Instead I'm opting to send E-gift cards to allow everyone on my list to enjoy a little shopping spree after the holidays. This way I avoid any in-store shopping and the forecasted delays for shipping online shopping purchases.

Bake More: In line with my hand made gifts, I'm going to make cookies, cakes or pastries for our immediate neighbors and family friends, and add the recipe to the gift so they can make more if they enjoy it.

Giving Myself a Pass: A big part of why I dislike Christmas so much is the annual guilt trip I take because I never feel like I do enough (this despite the fact that I do all the shopping, gift-wrapping, meals and decorating.) This year I'm excusing myself in advance for not making the holidays perfect. 2020 makes that literally impossible.

Nature Time: I usually don't spend a lot of time outdoors in December, but nature and exercise both boost my spirits. So every day that the weather permits I'd like to take a walk down by the lake or go for a hike in one of the local parks. This will be good for my guy, too.

Nixing Visitors: I'm asking everyone not to visit us in person during the holidays. This is just to avoid the virus more than anything. I will probably have Oliver and his parents over for a few hours on Christmas Day if we're their first stop.

Not Getting a New Dog Yet (Maybe): Within a month or two of losing one of our pups we usually acquire a new one. I asked my family to hold off on that, as I'm still mourning Cole and Skye. We also prefer to get our dogs young to train them, which is usually my responsibility, and dealing with a puppy during the holidays feels like too much. My daughter agreed, but she also reminded me that if we happen to find the right puppy for us during the holidays, we should give it a home. So this one is a maybe.

Scale Down the Celebrations: I always try to make Christmas nice for everyone else. I think this year I'm going to focus instead on keeping everything simple to eliminate fuss and stress. Maybe that will work.

Staying Home: We have an informal tradition of going out to see the town's annual Christmas light-up event. Nixing that to have a light-up night here at our house just for us. If the weather permits we'll have a fire in the backyard so we can relax afterward.

Writing the Holidays: I usually write much less during December so I can deal with the holidays and all they entail, which adds to my personal misery. This year I'm planning to write more. It's my happy place, and I deserve to be happy just like everyone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.