Skip to main content

Love Gamer Style

I was interested to see one of the most-watched Chinese dramas that is often mentioned by reviewers as one of the best, so I looked for and found Love O2O on Netflix. This is a thirty-episode romance drama set at a college with students who are avid gamers making up most of the cast. I was surprised to see Yang Yang playing the male lead Xiao Nai; he's a very popular romance actor. Maybe this series is how he got that way.

The story is fairly basic; young and beautiful student gamer Bei WeiWei (Zheng Shuang) is divorced by her in-game husband, as he wants someone prettier and more popular. This causes her to lose face and become the subject of gossip, and then out of the blue the number one player in the game asks her to marry him. They go on various adventures in the game, and WeiWei has no idea her new game husband is actually the most handsome, popular and reclusive boy on campus, who then begins to romance her in real life. Naturally every other character decides to break them up.

There was a lot not to love about this series, so much so that I had a hard time watching all 30 episodes. The female lead looks so thin and malnourished I expected her to keel over or snap like a twig when her boyfriend hugged her. She also has a roommate/BFF who gets my #1 vote as the most annoying secondary character in any drama from any series I've ever seen. The love triangles (there are multiples) are so contrived as to be utterly ridiculous. Almost every female character besides the lead (and sometimes the lead, too) are 2D cardboard who act like caricatures of young women, and nearly all of them are interchangeable mean girls. The world itself is so squeaky-clean and beautiful I wondered if it was China in a parallel universe.

The drama is somewhat redeemed by Yang Yang, who seems almost exasperated as he does what he can to save the series from becoming a complete disaster. He's not only the best visual of any male Chinese actor on the planet, he plays his character with charm, intensity and most of all subtlety, which this series so desperate needs. He's also very romantic in a boyfriend role. Although she's constantly referred to as a stunner, the lead female actor is so underweight it made me nauseated to watch her (disclaimer: I had a family member who suffered from annorexia nervosa so I admit this is a personal issue for me.)

If you want to be exasperated, annoyed or just depressed in between moments of admiration for a very handsome male lead, Love O2O is the perfect series for you. Otherwise, I'd recommend giving it a pass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.