Skip to main content

Two Ehs

I occasionally swap DVDs with a friend, and for our last exchange I received the movie follow-up to Deadwood and a mini-series called The Outsider. Since neither one dazzled me I thought I'd kill two ehs with one post.

I did like the original Deadwood cable series. It had far too much profanity and violence for me to love it, but most of the characters were excellent, the casting was inspired, the attention to detail with costumes and sets absolutely stellar -- plus it only lasted three seasons. Sometimes enough is enough.

Deadwood the movie takes place ten years after season three. It's mostly fanservice and nostalgia, and the plot is almost non-existant. I also think they aged some of the characters too much (Bullock looks like a senior citizen) and some not enough (Jane barely changed, and frankly she should be dead from all the nonstop drinking.) I liked the movie because it did provide some closure -- I liked how things wrapped up with Trixie and Seth -- but not enough to justify a movie. So eh.

The Outsider was based on a Stephen King novel, and really was just a dull, uninspired reimagining of It. I could not believe how ordinary and boring they tried to make everything look -- the cast, the settings, the pacing, the dialogue, the conflict -- it was blandfest. And slooooooow -- holy cow, I nearly nodded off every five seconds. I suppose all this was an artistic choice to make the series seem exactly as it would happen in real life -- only nobody lives like that. At the end, when the usual implausible King protagonist "We Must Kill It" shenanigans ensue, somehow they even made that seem tedious. There are multiple stories within the stories in the usual King droste effect style, and a few interesting characters (Holly and her guy, and the defense attorney) but otherwise, eh.

As a result I cannot recommend either, but if you're a masochist and want the DVDs, give me a yell in comments and I'll pass them along to you.

Comments

nightsmusic said…
I watched the first episode of Deadwood and that was it for me. I've never heard of the Outsiders. Thanks for taking one for the team ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.