Skip to main content

You Lost Me

Barbara O’Neal’s The Lost Girls of Devon is another deeply wrenching women’s fiction tale by the author, who seems determined to emotionally wreck her readers (in a good way, I suppose.) I did read the entire novel without skimming, as the writing is professional and the setting appealed to me.

That's a bit like me saying I like you because you live in a pretty house, yes? Sigh.

The story, set in a contemporary UK village with a mystery at its heart, is a reunion/reckoning/reconciliation tale of sorts involving four ladies. We have the family matriarch Lillian, who is a cozy mystery writer succumbing to the ravages of old age; her New Age/free-spirited daughter Poppy, who abandoned her very young daughter to Lillian’s care so she could chase her dreams; Zoe, Poppy’s artistic, unforgiving and now full-grown daughter, who hates her mother with unwavering ferocity (remember that when I get to commenting on the end); and Isabel, Zoe’s secretive teenage daughter who is trying to overcome a mysterious trauma apparently inflicted by her friends. The four women come together when Zoe’s best friend in the UK, Diana, suddenly disappears, and they try to sort out what happened to her.

The mystery feels more like an excuse to bring them together rather than a real event, but okay.

Because I identified with three of the four female generational characters I sympathized with them. Mostly with Lillian and Isabel, as I’ve dealt with issues similar to theirs, and they were the most genuine-to-me voices in the story. I also resonated somewhat with Zoe, although at times her extreme hatred of Poppy didn’t seem plausible, given her intelligence plus what the mother actually did. When you factor in how empathetic and compassionate Zoe is toward just about everyone else the whole scenario simply doesn't compute. I'd have tweaked that grudge a lot if it had been my story. As for Poppy, she seemed the most fake of all four characters -- stereotypical New Age dingbat in a nutshell -- and I didn't care for how she subtly blamed all her crap on her mother, who it seems spent most of her life cleaning up after Poppy.

I liked the first and last chapters of the story, I think, as much as I was able to with all the emotional wrecking balls flying at me. For the most part Zoe’s ex-boyfriend, Sage Cooper, who like most of the author’s romantic male characters is very exotic and fetching, kept me interested. The mystery of what happened to Diana was sidelined by all the reckonings among the family, and seemed to be on the scanty side. I think more interesting mystery aspects and way, way less angst would have served the reader better. But it’s women’s fic, not a mystery, so we must expect the persistence of wrecking balls.

In the end I felt the book never got hold of me as intended. It could be that my own rocky moods and issues influenced that; I tend to wall out that sort of thing when I’m struggling with my own unhappiness. Women's fictional relationships with each other mostly bore me, too; I find most women are not as they are portrayed in books by women writers (but male writers don't get it right, either. Maybe no one can write us properly.) There's some yearning in these type of stories for women to be much more than they are, and that strikes me as misleading and occasionally sadistic. The final revelation of exactly what Isabel suffered was over-the-top, and seemed more like a soapbox rant at the dangers of social media. I also didn’t like how things worked out with Zoe and Poppy at all; given Zoe's hatred it felt quite unrealistic and, in the end, far too sugary.

I don’t know if I should recommend this one or not. Maybe I need to stop reading women’s fiction until my head is in a better place and I'm not so darn prickly.

Comments

nightsmusic said…
This book was recommended to me by Amazon Kindle a couple times now. I don't know that I've ever bought a women's fiction novel. Not my thing at all. The only 'story' that I have liked that probably falls in that genre is Steel Magnolias and I cheated and only watched the movie. I think it doesn't appeal to me because in part, I can't relate to any of the types of relationships that are portrayed in them. Kudos to you for making it through the book. I don't know that I'd have lasted more than a chapter or two at the most.

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.