Skip to main content

The Twelve Ideas of Christmas #7

Executive Pleasures

“Rumor has it the big boss is flying in tomorrow from Paris,” Sally Lane said as she added too much sugar to her coffee. “Have you heard why?”

“No, but it’s his company.” Jessica Hart finished stacking four coffee containers in a carrying tray. “He’s allowed.”

Outside the towering skyscraper office snow began to fall, adding to the drifts already blanketing Chicago in white. Frost edged every window in crystal, while the wind off the lake playfully buffeted the heavily-bundled pedestrians. In a month it would be Christmas, which Jessica would be spending it alone – again. Maybe this year she’d use her vacation to go on a cruise somewhere warm, where she could sun herself by a pool and drink things out of coconuts and pineapples. She might even have a fling, if she could find a guy who wouldn’t expect her to do sexual cartwheels.

Jessica imagined honestly introducing herself to a potential lover: Hi, I’m Jess. I’ve had exactly three lukewarm relationships, and my last boyfriend Bradley cheated on me with anyone he could get naked. Oh, and I’m kind of in love with my boss, who treats me like I’m invisible. So, want to come back to my cabin and let me bore you to tears?

“Earth to Jessica.” Sally saved a plump hand in front of her nose. “Please tell me you’re not thinking about that jerk Brad again. He did you a favor, sweetie.”

She forced a smile. “I’m not, really. So why do you think Mr. Duchane is coming over from Europe?”

“He can’t be tired of Paris. My boss thinks he’s delivering a bunch of pink slips, which should make my work day interesting.” The petite redhead tasted her brew and grimaced. “Why do I get coffee every morning? I hate coffee.”

“It’s the price you pay to gossip with me.” Jessica checked the slim gold watch on her wrist. “I’ve got to get upstairs. See you at lunch.”

“Text me if you see any actual pink slips, will you?” Sally called after her. “I’d like to know in advance if I have to update my resume.”

Jessica took the elevator to the executive offices where she worked, and delivered the coffee orders for two vice-presidents and the director of marketing before bringing the last to her own boss in Accounting.

“Thanks, Jess,” Connor Perry said without looking up from the spreadsheet he was studying. He’d already rolled up his sleeves of his white shirt, which along with his broad shoulders and muscular build made him seem like a brawler pretending to be an executive. He sat back and dragged a hand through his dark hair, frustration plain in his bright blue eyes. “How are you this morning?”

Jessica wondered how he’d react if she told him the truth: lonely, lustful, and secretly longing to straddle his lap and kiss his hard mouth until he groaned and ripped off her clothes. “I’m fine.”

“Great, then would you get Neil Ackerman from Sales on the line for me, please?” Connor gave the spreadsheet an annoyed look. “His budget requests are going to bankrupt the company.”

“Yes, sir.” Jess walked out to the reception office and placed the call, forwarding it to Connor before she began her own morning routine. Since she was the only secretary on the floor she handled the calls, correspondence and filing for all four executives, along with the financial reports and documents she prepared for Connor.

Her job at Duchane Consolidated kept her busy, but after five years Jessica could practically do it in her sleep. She’d considered going back to school to finish her accounting degree, but she didn’t need that for work. Nor was she inclined to start her own business. She liked working for Connor Perry, who was a hard-working, decent man who always treated her with respect. Sometimes she wished he wouldn’t – he was also the handsomest man in the building, and she’d had a crush on him since her first day – but she kept those feelings concealed. The last thing she needed to do was get involved with someone at work.

Just as Jessica was halfway through typing Connor’s letters a big, burly man strode into her office. As head of the Sales Department Neil Ackerman usually tried to be charming to everyone, especially women, but this morning anger reddened his broad face.

“I need to see him,” he told her, jabbing a finger at Connor’s office door. “Now.”

“Just a moment.” Jessica reached for the phone, but Neil stalked past her desk and went in without waiting for permission. “Mr. Ackerman, please.” She got up and followed him in.

“You can’t hang up on me now,” the salesman told Connor, who stood up and came around his desk. “Listen to me, damn it. We need the money so we can expand our client base.”

“Every department but yours has cut their overhead.” Unlike Ackerman, Connor sounded calm. “You can’t ask for more when everyone else is making do with less.”

Jessica could sense the anger seething under her boss’s bland expression. “Mr. Ackerman, why don’t I schedule a meeting for you and Mr. Perry, so you can discuss this in more detail?”

“Sales brings in the cash that runs this place,” Ackerman insisted, ignoring her entirely. “You have to spend a little to make a lot more.”

“By partying in Vegas with hookers, like you and your guys did last year?” Connor shook his head. “Not happening, Neil.”

The salesman lowered his head, like a bull getting ready to charge. “You spying on my department, you sneaky bastard?”

Connor smiled a little. “I didn’t have to. Your staff likes to brag. Now go back to your office, and redo your budget requests. These cuts have to be made.”

“We’ll justify the expenses with the new accounts we bring in.” Ackerman’s voice rose to a shout. “What the hell do you want from me, Perry? Blood?” Jessica stepped forward just as the salesman threw out his arms in a theatrical gesture. She tried to dodge his hand, which slammed into her shoulder and sent her staggering. Just as she started to fall strong arms caught her and steadied her.

“Are you out of your mind?” Connor demanded.

“Sorry, babe. Next time, stay out of my way.” His gaze shifted to the man holding her. “We’ll see what Duchane has to say about this, you tight-fisted asshole.” He stormed out of the office.

*

Executive Pleasures came from an idea I had last year to do a non-traditional menage/office romance in novel length. I haven't written contemporary romance for a long time, so I wrote the first 2K of the story to see if I could fall back into the rhythm. It's a very steamy idea, but I liked the characters a lot.

Executive Pleasures is Idea #7.

Image by Michael Gaida.

Comments

nightsmusic said…
I like this! I'm not big on menage anymore, it all started to read the same to be honest, but that was some time ago and you weren't the author! :)

I left a couple comments yesterday (I think it was) but all it gave me was Google Account to comment as, so I don't know if you got them.

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.