Skip to main content

The Most (#$%*&!) Time of the Year

When summer ends every year it seems like the whole world gets excited. There's the arrival of Fall, which everyone loves for the dying leaves, the chilly temps that force them to wear too many clothes, the dubious charms of Pumpkin Spice everything, the holidays of too much indulgence and over-eating alongside family members they avoid for the rest of the year. At the very end of it Santa doesn't arrive but everyone spends too much money on gifts and pretends they're happy while lying about the whole Santa con to their kids.

Fall is an awful season that brings out the worst in people, in my opinion. I'm not going to go along with everyone else and pretend I like it, either. The only reason I welcome Winter, a season that I also don't care for, is because it means Fall is over.

It's easy to become depressed when you're trapped in a time of year filled with things that make you unhappy. The trick, I've learned, is to focus on the few things you do like and let those things matter above all the depressing stuff. Halloween is my second favorite holiday (the day after Christmas is #1), and I like making decorations for it and choosing candy for the trick or treaters. Last year I had a little Halloween party for us as well, which was fun, and I'm planning to do that again this year.

I'm going to write for pleasure a Halloween-themed short story, too. That's something that I haven't done for a few years now.

Once Halloween goes, I usually had National Novel Writing Month to keep me from slipping into the depression abyss, but that imploded last year and honestly, good riddance. It had become a cesspit, frankly. I've found an alternative, but this year I have to make the day job my first priority, so I likely won't have time. We shall see.

Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving because I can cook all day, it's fun to think up some different dishes to go with the bird, and it's a day off from the dismal aspects of Fall. I will be happy planning for that.

I can crochet heavier projects, and no doubt I'll be making more variations of those that make me happy. My calendar project is winding down, too; I have only three more bags to make this year. I'll focus on those and try to make them special.

I am meditating every day and my spiritual teachings are guiding and helping me so much. They've really been what got me through my guy's surgery, all the drama other people dumped on me and my own health issues, and I expect they will help me tremendously with the rest of it.

That's all I have to look forward to, but it's enough. I may become a little depressed now and then -- it's natural given the stress of this awful season -- but I have alternatives to dropping into the pits. Making sure I focus on the positive is what will make all the difference.

Image credit: Swan image by Fr. Romain Marie Bancillon from Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Loves & Such

My guy kindly bought me my favorite Chinese take out the other night, and my fortune cookie offered up an interesting story starter: This sounds sweet, right? Only the first thing I thought of was an old love coming back from the dead . . . . must be October. In other lovely news, my favorite hand-dyed thread artist, Lorraine from Colour Complements , is moving her business from Etsy to her own web site. Many of my favorite sellers on Etsy are leaving due to the whole "free shipping" coercion debacle, which has also soured me on the site. To show support I did a little shopping at Lorraine's web site and got in these: I love her threads and trims; you simply can't buy anything like them anywhere. Her work makes my specialty thread box look like a treasure chest: At night I'm spending just as hour working on quilting the scrap project runner, and I'm making slow progress: I'll keep quilting the runner while I try to decide on a design for t...

Fell Off the Wagon

I did cut up that plastic dollar tote to make into something stronger, but got caught up with work and set it aside. Then last night some hand-dyed silk and pretty threads called my name, and, well . . . Felt SO good to do some handwork, except my neck began hurting about an hour into it. I tried changing the way I sit and work, but it's pretty obvious that the doc is right.

Wild Ride

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...