Skip to main content

Transformed

I picked up a copy of Red City by Marie Lu after Maxine from Knotty by Maxine recommended it. I knew almost from the beginning that it wouldn't be a happy story, and it wasn't, but the excellent and intricate if very dark world-building kept me absorbed, and the storyline, while pure fantasy, grew more engrossing (and harrowing) with every page.

In the universe of this novel alchemy, the ancient, secretive tradition and early branch of natural philosophy with goals of turning base metals into gold, discover cures for disease, and ultimately achieve immortality, is real. This is not the stuff of Harry Potter -- or, it's the Sopranos version. Into this dark and greedy world are dragged two kids: Samantha, whose mother brought her to America from China to give her a chance at a better life, and Ari, a boy taken from India because of his natural charisma and potential talents. The kids are recruited by syndicates that are enemies, but as they befriend each other at school they keep this secret from each other. They do fall in love, and yet eventually part ways, unaware they'll meet on the battlefield of the streets where they're expected to kill each other.

Upsides: this is a very well put together novel, and the pacing is particularly excellent. None of the characters are cardboard, and I thought the plot was one of those paint-yourself-into-a-corner deals that would end badly. I'm not going to tell you how it ends, but it did surprise me, and that's hard to do.

Downsides: hardly any. I don't believe in alchemy but I could pretend I did while I was reading. This is what I'd call dark fantasy with a smidge of romantasy. At times the tragic love story between the main characters, who are expected to become enemies by those who manipulate and use them, creeps over the line into utter fantasy as well. Yet perhaps it's apt. I don't know how else a writer could handle this set up. There is an expected amount of violence that may be triggering for some, and a few heartless sex scenes that I didn't care for but that contributed to the shaping of the two leads, so I saw the necessity.

Red City is a dark novel, heavy on the super powers, and not particularly romantic. Yet it's also fully realized, very balanced and beautifully written, so you don't care -- or, at least, I didn't. Recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Loves & Such

My guy kindly bought me my favorite Chinese take out the other night, and my fortune cookie offered up an interesting story starter: This sounds sweet, right? Only the first thing I thought of was an old love coming back from the dead . . . . must be October. In other lovely news, my favorite hand-dyed thread artist, Lorraine from Colour Complements , is moving her business from Etsy to her own web site. Many of my favorite sellers on Etsy are leaving due to the whole "free shipping" coercion debacle, which has also soured me on the site. To show support I did a little shopping at Lorraine's web site and got in these: I love her threads and trims; you simply can't buy anything like them anywhere. Her work makes my specialty thread box look like a treasure chest: At night I'm spending just as hour working on quilting the scrap project runner, and I'm making slow progress: I'll keep quilting the runner while I try to decide on a design for t...

Fell Off the Wagon

I did cut up that plastic dollar tote to make into something stronger, but got caught up with work and set it aside. Then last night some hand-dyed silk and pretty threads called my name, and, well . . . Felt SO good to do some handwork, except my neck began hurting about an hour into it. I tried changing the way I sit and work, but it's pretty obvious that the doc is right.

Wild Ride

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...