Skip to main content

Taking My Medicine

Yesterday for me started at 5:30 am and didn't end until 12:30 am, when I finally, totally passed out next to my guy. It was a very fine day for him, considering, and a horrible day for me personally, but I got through it with the same spine I've always had -- the titanium one I haul out when things get truly challenging.

Here he is waiting to go into surgery. He's completely self-absorbed, telling me this and that and joking about the whole thing because that's what he does when he's really scared. I am trying to keep it together. They're going to put the love of my life under general anesthesia, cut into him and repair the damage he's inflicted on himself by trying to be thirty years old again, but I just have to get through the day and put my faith in people I don't know and can't hear when they talk to me and only get about every third word by reading lips. They're also running an hour and a half late. Yes, totally relaxing.

Here I'm in the surgery waiting room. I just meditated silently with my phone (there's a mala app!) which helped. I also crocheted to keep my hands occupied. When I took this pic it was the moment when they were closing his procedure (the blood red rectangle on the board.) That was the moment I finally could take a deep breath. I walked down to the coffee shop and got a terrible lukewarm cup of coffee and a fairly decent turkey sandwich, sat at a table and contemplated my life choices.

I was supposed to have help today, to manage dealing with the people at the hospital, then drive us home from the hospital, and help me move a 200+ lbs. man out of the car and into the house without stressing his surgical site. This help is someone for whom I've done a great deal over the last year, and only asked this in return.

My help did not show up. They had excuses, and good ones, as they always do when they shirk their responsibilities and break their promises. They did more than once pester me via my phone for updates on my guy's condition, which was like rubbing salt in the wounds.

Keep in mind that I am functionally deaf, crippled with arthritis, and I have not driven a car in about seven years. This is why I asked for help. They always tell independent people like me that we have to ask for help, so I did. I have been practicing driving over the last week, however, because I knew. I just knew on this horrible, unbelievably stressful day my help would break their promise and I would have to handle it myself. So I did.

I'm not angry. I knew it would happen. I even updated the no-help via the phone without comment or malice, an act I considered absolutely heroic. My spiritual teachings tell me to forgive, let it go, but not to forget what I've learned. It's like swallowing bitter medicine -- you just have to take it. I will tell you that I have forgiven them. I will also never trust or ask this person for help again. It's one of those "If I am on fire, I will not ask you to spit on me" situations.

This is what made it all worth my time, angst and exhausting effort. Seeing my guy smile after his surgery (okay you can't see it, but it's behind the smiley face sun.) That was all the repayment I needed.

We got home, and I fussed over him until I literally could not keep my eyes open another second. We slept together, deeply and perfectly, and woke this morning much improved.

Now I'm off to walk my dogs. :)

Comments

Maria Zannini said…
I'm glad everything ended well, but the next time, ask for a Patient Advocate Nurse. Many hospitals have them. They will make sure you understand what is being said, even providing captioning or live speech to text service (in medical circles, it's called CART). She'll do everything in her power to make sure you're in good hands.
I've never needed such a nurse, but it made me feel better that she was available.

Get some rest. Taking care of a surgical patient is exhausting.
the author said…
Thanks, Maria. I didn't know they offered such services these days. Of course my medical knowledge of hospitals is only 40 years old. :) He's doing well, and I'm hanging in.

Popular posts from this blog

Old Loves & Such

My guy kindly bought me my favorite Chinese take out the other night, and my fortune cookie offered up an interesting story starter: This sounds sweet, right? Only the first thing I thought of was an old love coming back from the dead . . . . must be October. In other lovely news, my favorite hand-dyed thread artist, Lorraine from Colour Complements , is moving her business from Etsy to her own web site. Many of my favorite sellers on Etsy are leaving due to the whole "free shipping" coercion debacle, which has also soured me on the site. To show support I did a little shopping at Lorraine's web site and got in these: I love her threads and trims; you simply can't buy anything like them anywhere. Her work makes my specialty thread box look like a treasure chest: At night I'm spending just as hour working on quilting the scrap project runner, and I'm making slow progress: I'll keep quilting the runner while I try to decide on a design for t...

Fell Off the Wagon

I did cut up that plastic dollar tote to make into something stronger, but got caught up with work and set it aside. Then last night some hand-dyed silk and pretty threads called my name, and, well . . . Felt SO good to do some handwork, except my neck began hurting about an hour into it. I tried changing the way I sit and work, but it's pretty obvious that the doc is right.

Wild Ride

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...