I do love to cook. It reminds me of my dad, it makes me decompress and my guy (and my nephew!) are very appreciative. That said, there are some things I refuse to cook or eat, and I will not apologize for that. Why? Take a look at the list and my reasons:
Ten Things I Refuse to Cook and/or Eat
Anything with the word "dump" in the recipe title. I associate that word with abandoned children, bowel movements, and landfills. It's also not cooking to me if you dump everything together in a crockpot and walk away.
Beets as an ingredient: Alas, beets are not allowed in my cooking, my house or my mouth. You can thank my cousin Arnold for traumatizing me at a very young age by telling me they were blood eggs.
Clams and Clam Chowder: I will eat just about any kind of seafood except clams. They look and smell nasty. I don't care if they're ground up in the soup and I probably won't taste them. That's what my mother said about squash.
Liver: I actually ate a lot of liver when I was a kid because my mother could get it cheap at the butchers. I never liked the taste of it that much, so as an adult I bid it farewell. I will eat braunschweiger, which is smoked liverwurst, now and then as it reminds me of my grandmother, who loved it.
Lobster Anything: Lobster is stringy and overpriced. I'll eat it to be polite if I have to for someone else, but I won't make lobster in any kind of recipe.
Monkey Bread: I'm not a monkey. Also, it just sounds and looks unpleasant.
Pureed Soups: I admit, this is rather a weird one. It looks like baby food to me. Also, I don't cook or eat baby food, just FYI.
Raw Tomatoes: I'm fine with eating cooked tomatoes in every way, shape and form. That said, too many people get food poisoning from raw tomatoes for me to ever feel comfortable eating them.
Squash of any kind on its own or as an ingredient: They're slimy. I'm sorry, but they are. I don't do slimy.
Sushi: I have tried sushi a few times, mostly to make my daughter happy (she loves it), but I don't care for seaweed and I'm not comfortable eating uncooked seafood.
Comments