Skip to main content

Even Thomas Harris Gets Remaindered

Sometimes the book is better than the movie, and Thomas Harris is always better on paper. He's one of the most talented writers in the biz, although like Stephen King his story choices make him a hard read for me. Like King he also takes great pleasure in things I do not find amusing or entertaining in the least, so keep that in mind as we move along.

I haven't read anything by this author since Hannibal, a book I still cite as having the worst/most sadistic/infuriating ending I've read since Mieville's Perdido Street Station. China nearly made me give up writing; Thomas made me want to punch him in the face. I knew there was another Lecter book that came out (Hannibal Rising?) after the one I hated so much but I was done with the author anyway, so no big deal. Until my guy and I were out with our nephew at a bargain outlet store, and I saw a remaindered copy of Cari Mora on display in the book section.

I've never seen Thomas Harris's work remaindered anywhere before that moment, and I haven't heard a peep about this particular title. Since the author rarely publishes anything that seemed weird to me. It also gave me a little bit of -- okay, immense -- satisfaction to see Thomas Harris there among all the failed mysteries and ho-hum biographies and Amish romances. Since this gem was obviously not going the way of Silence of the Lambs, I decided to buy a copy and see why.

Cari Mora is a lot like Red Dragon, if you turned the story inside out and sprinkled a little Silence of the Lambs in it. The title character is a former Colombian child soldier, and among many other jobs she housesits a mansion that once belonged to drug lord, cartel king and terrorist Pedro Escobar (yes, the same Pedro Escobar from the real word) where he supposedly buried half a ton of gold under the house. Cari is a world-wearier version of Clarice Starling.

Hans-Peter Schneider, the Hannibal Lecter of this story, wants the gold and comes after her for her knowledge of the house. He plans to chop her up and sell her body parts, or perhaps creatively mutilate her for the pleasure of richer men, and he spends a lot of time fantasizing about this, to my eternal disgust. Happily she manages to slip through his fingers. Hans-Peter, Cari and a motley crew of other characters then get caught up in trying to get the gold and stay alive. Not all succeed.

The writing was technically impressive. There's not a spare word in any Thomas Harris novel, and as a writer I appreciate that. That's about all the positive in this book for me. The story, the characters, and even the ending didn't move me. I've seen this story before from the author, in different incarnations, and I didn't like it the other times I read it. It's obvious now that unlike Stephen King Thomas Harris is very limited on what he can write, or he's not interesting in exploring new story territory. Anyway, I think if he publishes again he'll go on telling the same story with the same characters, plot and twists, just dressed up as different. Not my cup of tea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.