Skip to main content

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part.

Back in 1979 I was in military basic training during my first Christmas away from home. Because we were poor and our parents had major relationship and addiction issues, and we belonged to a strict religion, the holidays were always pretty unhappy at our house. My mother had been very angry with me for joining the military without her permission, so I didn't expect even a Christmas card from her. Instead she sent a box of oranges to me to share with my squad, and a little stocking filled with her homemade fudge.

That was the last time someone made a Christmas stocking for me. In the 44 years since then I've always put up stockings for my family and filled them with treats. I even made new stockings for everyone a few times. Each Christmas I would wait to see a stocking hung up for me, but no one ever did that. The stocking you see up there was one I made for myself and hung up one year, hoping someone would put something in it. On Christmas morning I looked and found it was empty. I really don't like being left out, or reminded every holiday that no one thought enough of me to bother, so I didn't hang it up the next year.

To be fair to my family I never asked them to make a stocking for me. Since I bought all the treats and hung up the stockings for Christmas they probably assumed I would make one for myself. But every year that empty space (and especially the year of the empty stocking) really hurt me.

Fast forward to this year, with all the usual bad luck that came with the holidays. It's exhausting (the new computer) and heartbreaking (losing our citrus trees). I've also had food poisoning -- not a terrrible case, but just miserable enough to make me weak as well as upset. The birthday/Christmas package I sent to Katherine inexplicably vanished, and after two weeks I knew it was probably lost for good or stolen. There were several things in the package I could not replace, either. Her roomates are leaving to visit their families so she'll be alone for Christmas, and it just killed me to think of her on the other side of the world with nothing on Christmas morning. It made me angry, too. It's fine for the universe to do all this crap to me, but not to my kid.

I don't know why I asked an artist friend I've known for a few years if they would like to do a holiday gift exchange to help dispel our Christmas blues a bit. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. Anyway, we ended up agreeing on making a stocking for each other (I didn't say anything about my unhappy experiences in the past.) I really thought I'd gotten over the Christmas stocking thing and hoping for something no one was ever going to give me. Then the package arrived with this lovely handmade quilted stocking stuffed full of lovely goodies for my art quilting, and all I did was cry for most of the day. Then I prayed to the universe and promised to stop hating Christmas if it would just find my kid's package and get it to her. Silly, I know.

The next day (I mean literally, the next day) my lost package showed up on the USPS tracking page in, of all places, San Francisco. 16 days after I shipped it the package reached Katherine's doorstep in Hawaii, and nothing was lost or stolen. As you can see here she was able to set up a little corner in her room with the gifts we sent and the wee Christmas tree, which lights up and plays music, too. That was my Christmas stocking from the universe.

I confess, I still hate the holidays, but not with the venomous loathing I had before this one. I've always spent them trying to do nice things for others because I didn't think anyone should hate Christmas as much as I have. As you know my Christmas last year was pretty much horrible, and this year has been a nonstop nightmare. Except for a few things, like this stocking, and that package appearing out of nowhere -- and the universe finally taking pity on me. So now I have to find ways to stop hating this time of year, because I never welsh on a promise.

I'll start now: Merry Christmas, my friends.

Comments

nightsmusic said…
Sometimes, all the stars align, don't they? I'm glad they did for you.

It's a quiet day today for us. Thing 1 and husband are going to Bay City for his parents and Thing 2, her husband and Ms Chaos should be in Pennsylvania by now to see his side of the family. We're sitting in front of the fireplace, drinking coffee and watching A Christmas Carol. A little bittersweet, but nice too. Yesterday was a madhouse.

I ordered Thing 2's physical gift card on the 18th from her favorite store. The 18th. It's being delivered today! Via FedEx. FedEx can deliver my Chewy order the next day. It's not entirely their fault however. The store didn't bother to ship it until Saturday. Not sure why it took them four days to process a gift card but whatever.

I'm glad things worked their way out for you this year. I know it was a tough year. Have a quiet, happy day today. Merry Christmas, my friend. Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.