Skip to main content

Psych

I usually skip anything about psychological drama, as I've dealt with enough of that in real life. Actor Jing Boran playing the male lead in the Chinese romantic drama series Psychologist is who snagged my interest, as he's an interesting guy. He completely flips his persona in this long drama, and the female lead is equally as interesting to watch, but as for the rest . . . . we'll get to that, too.

Here's the set up for the series: He Dun (Yang Zi), a psychologist with some major childhood trauma, loses her job as a crisis counselor and decides to start her own clinic. She meets up with Qian Kaiyi (Jing Boran), a broadcaster and former school classmate who wants to recruit her to work with him on a mental health radio show. He's fascinated by her, and doesn't know she had a secret crush on him in school (he also humiliated her back then, too.) Conflicts start popping up involving both clinic and radio show patients, a secretive new neighbor, He Dun's longtime mentor/surrogate Dad, and Kaiyi's intense rivalry with another broadcaster.

Since Kaiyi is kind of a lounge lizard type, and He Dun is super serious, you can't imagine at first how these two will end up in a romance. That slowly evolves, and it's pretty convincing. I was startled and then weirdly absorbed by how different Jing Boran is in this role. He was super serious in Road Home, but this time he's like another person entirely. There's a big cast, and other interesting side plots, but the romantic relationship between the leads is slow but very nice. I also liked the supporting cast a lot.

Onto the problems with this series: there are a lot, I'm afraid. I've never seen patients with serious mental health problems be completely cured by a couple of talk sessions; all of the patients in this drama are. I cannot believe what the secretive new neighbor does so easily, how long he gets away with it, and how when he's caught the cops basically give him a slap on the wrist. This guy would be in jail for twenty or thirty years for the same offenses here. Also, apparently the side effects of Prozac in China turn one into a maniac, if this story is to be believed. He Dun has some serious flaws, but the way she behaves in the last couple of episodes makes me question everything that came before them. Finally the whole series is cut short because the producers had to drop eight episodes due to a new episode limiting law over there.

Despite all the problems I did like Psychologist. The stylization and illustration of the patients' disorders was creative and, if not exactly accurate, very interesting. Jing Boran was again fabulous in his role; the guy is a total chameleon. I think if they ever release the final eight episodes (they were broadcast as a part two/followup series) I'd like to watch them just to see how He Dun gets over her troubles and cements her relationship with Kaiyi. Available on Viki.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.