Skip to main content

Fight for Love

I think Japanese dramas are starting to grow on me, or I've just been lucky to find a few that are not all death, gloom, joyless existence etc. Fight Song is definitely the former, not the latter, and features an interesting and eclectic cast who all do a great job at playing their unique roles.

Most of the characters are residents at an orphanage, where they've grown up together. The main character, Kisara Hanae (Kiyohara Kaya), was abandoned by her father after the sudden death of her mother. She's very detached and self-controlled, which is probably why she becomes obsessed with karate, at which she becomes a star. She also can't seem to catch a break. Before she can compete on a national level, she's involved in a car accident. During rehab she then discovers she has a life-threatening condition which requires surgery, but will likely also leave her permanently disabled. At first she withdraws entirely, and then her friend at the orphanage Shingo (Kikuchi Fuma) hires her to work for his cleaning service.

While cleaning Hanae meets Ashida Haruki (Mamiya Shotaro), a songwriter who wrote the song Hanae listens to whenever life gets tough (so she listens to it daily, basically.) He's become a one-hit wonder on the verge of losing everything because he can't come up with a second hit. They decide for their own reasons to date and see if they can find love together in a kind of weird arranged relationship. Haruki is a bit strange, too, but so is Hanae, so they oddly work as a couple. When Haruki is with Hanae she accepts him without reservation, which allows him to finally open up to her. That they genuinely fall in love with each other seemed quite plausible.

The ten episodes of Fight Song chart the often-troubled waters of both Hanae and Haruki, their friends, and the pressures on them to deal with long-standing problems. It's interesting to see a non-traditional Japanese family and how they all end up at the end, which was as expected but still charmed me. There are no miracle saves in this series, but I didn't mind that. Dealing with romance in real life situations has always been more interesting to me anyway. There may be some triggering scenes for people with depression or who are coping with difficult medical conditions, but otherwise it's a sweet romance with an interesting story depicted by very good actors. Highly recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.