Skip to main content

Baby Makes Three

Woo-ri the Virgin is one of those k-dramas that is probably going to have a lot of hate, as it features a religious protagonist caught in a love triangle after becoming accidentally pregnant via a rather stupid artificial insemination mix-up. This while she's keeping a lifelong vow of chastity until marriage, no less. While Woori was at times pretty clueless, and some of the drama's complicated plot lines got annoying, I thought it was pretty charming. The ending also startled me, which is very difficult to do.

Im Soo-hyang plays Oh Woo-ri, an assistant drama writer who is dating police detective Lee Kang-jae (Shin Dong-wook). Both are faithful and in a nice relationship (always doomed in Korean romances) when a mix-up at a hospital leaves Woo-ri pregnant with the baby of Raphael (Sung Hoon), the handsome chaebol son of the hospital's rich and powerful conglomerate owner. As it happens Raphael, who has just beaten stomach cancer, can't father any other children, either. Woo-ri is his last chance to have kids. At this point I was glad to see virtually everyone around Woo-ri supporting her right to have an abortion (just don't move to the U.S., honey.)

After a realistic struggle with deciding what to do, Woo-ri agrees to have the baby and hand it over to Raphael and his wife Lee Ma-Ri (very well-played by Hong Ji-yoon). What follows is the expected romantic conflict this causes between her and her cop boyfriend, but also the impact it has on her single mother, grandmother and the very surprising guy who turns out to be Woo-ri's father. Raphael has his own problems, which include his lying, cheating, scheming wife, and a murderer using his father's hospital to perform illegal operations on criminals to alter their appearance. Add to that regular threats that come close to terminating the pregnancy, and that's the story.

Sung Hoon does a great job with a tricky role, but the actor who impressed me the most was Shin Dong-wook, who had the most realistic portrayal of a man whose life is turned upside down by a twist of fate. The medical mix-up that leads to Woo-ri becoming pregnant is completely implausible (wouldn't you know the difference if you came in for a standard GYN exam and someone attempted to artificially inseminate you? I know I would.) Some of the religious and pro-life messages of the drama are offensive, frankly, to women who don't believe in God, vows of chastity or being forced to have a child they don't want. I'm on the fence about that; I try to see both sides but lately it's been a lot more difficult. As far as the US is concerned the timing of this drama could not be worse.

I won't spoil the ending, but I didn't guess the drama would end the way it did, so there you go. Available to watch on Viki.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.