Skip to main content

Self-Punishment

To be fair -- and because I'm slightly masochistic when it comes to SF -- I watched Three-Body, the Chinese 30-episode version of Netflix's 3 Body Problem that I so disliked. I preferred the Chinese version, as it seemed to have less finger wagging and more story (I found out later it's also more faithful to the book.) The gender of one of the main characters was flipped, and there were a lot more characters in this one. It still proved rather disheartening. It's also very slow and doesn't get to the point as quickly.

There were a couple of outlandish bits of technology that required so much suspension of disbelief that I couldn't really accept them in the Netflix version, and they're back in this one, so they must come from the novel. No, I'm not reading the book, either. The technology is utterly ridiculous no matter how you dress it up or change the characters. Actually, the pivotal scene with one was basically identical to one of the more gruesome scenes in the American horror flick Ghost Ship. Finally there's a scene with a police officer shooting a nuclear device that is so beyond what would actually happen if that were done that I cringed a bit. Okay, that's all my gripes.

On the upside, the special effects were more interesting and involved in this one. You get a true sense of the antagonist, but also why they got there. There's one character who annoyed me from the start (the cop) and ended up being my favorite of the entire cast. I also found it startling that they basically criticized so much of the communist movement in China during its fledgling years; I never would have thought they'd get this past the censors.

I'm on the fence as to if I want to recommend this story in any form to anyone, but I'm glad I got another perpective on it. If you don't mind all the gripes, the silly technology, the disgusting scene and the depressing aspects, it's available to watch on Viki.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.