Skip to main content

Emergency Food

I'm preparing a little earlier this year for hurricane season, mainly because I want to build a three month supply of non-perishable food in addition to the six month supply I already have. I may or may not extend the emergency supplies to another six month's worth so my guy and I can take care of ourselves for a year without food supplies, if need be. Anyway, since my regular pantry is full, I had to find a new place for the emergency pantry, which I did in the laundry room (and yes, I need to better organize the bottom shelf, which I'm still using for bird seed as well as hurricane supplies.)

My calculations for how much food to store are bit complicated (and it will require me to use other areas for storage as well.) I'm going by our necessary calorie intake and our specific diet requirements (no sugar or any fat besides olive oil for me, and I try to keep sodium to a minimum for both of us) but it roughly works out to 450 portions to make 180 meals for me (I don't eat breakfast) and 270 for him. The canned food can be eaten without preparation or heating, but I'm also including some comfort foods and soups that we can cook on the grill or the firepit. Having a hot meal can really boost the spirits.

We also need about 1-1/2 gallons of drinking water every day, which works out to 135 gallons for three months, or 8 bins (see my post here about using plastic bins for water storage.)

I'm starting to save gallon plastic containers again for toilet and washing water storage, and to freeze and keep in our fridge and freezer to help preserve our perishable food if we lose power for an extended period of time. I did this during Irma and it saved us from running our generator constantly.

It will take until June (when hurricane season starts) to build up an extra three month emergency pantry, as I'm only buying a week of extra food and supplies when I go to do my regular shopping. I'm also buying inexpensive food or food on sale, all of which has at least one year of shelf life, too. This is food that I can rotate into our regular pantry before it expires and as I replace it with newer food. Finally I'm buying food that my guy will actually eat -- I've been trained to dine on basically anything, but if he can't have something he likes he'll definitely starve.

It may not be necessary to store all this food, of course. I'm also not trying to sound an alarm of any kind, or say that we all need to become preppers (a community I respect and have learned a lot from over the years, btw.) I grew up in hurricane country, so I like to be able to take care of myself and my family in an emergency. It gives me peace of mind. Food and water are musts for that. If you want a good guide to what you should store in the event of an emergency, FEMA has one here.

Comments

Maria Zannini said…
Nothing has ever educated me more than a hurricane.

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.