Skip to main content

Safe with Me

My rescued moth did not pass away overnight after I rescued her last month, although I knew she didn't have long to live.

Healthy Virginian tiger moths only live for a week or two.

To put that into comparitive terms, one day of a moth's life is equal to about five to ten years of life for the average human being.

She's spending the end of her life resting and sunning herself in peace, protected on the back porch.

Because it was getting cold at night I made a little habitat for her so I could bring her inside.

All this for a moth I found on the road. That's crazy, right? Only something very similar happened to me some years ago. I was rendered helpless by a vertigo attack while alone on the side of a road; I literally couldn't stand up or speak coherently. A young couple pretending to help stayed with me until I passed out, at which point they robbed me of $26.00 and left me there. It was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, but people always tell me "it could have been worse." I survived, so I suppose it could have been.

Anyway. I did not leave this helpless creature to die alone on the side of the road. I gave her a safe place and more time to live in peace and safety, which is all any of us can hope for at the end.

Comments

Maria Zannini said…
There's a special place in heaven for you.

If only all of us could experience such a gift at the end of our days.
nightsmusic said…
I remember your traumatic experience. :( What you're doing for Ms Moth is a wonderful thing. I've done this many times though. I'm a certified Monarch Waystation and I bring in injured butterflies and moths, Monarch eggs, I've overwintered Swallowtail chrysalis, brought in Monarch chrysalis so the birds don't eat them (I'm up to four enclosures now) and bring in the Monarch and Swallowtail caterpillars as well. I've even seen a Circropia moth make it from egg to adult. That was a real treat!! If you have questions, let me know, but you're going to want to get a little enclosure for the eggs on the leaf and put fresh food in every day. They have a diet of a wide range of low-growing plants, including ground cover like grass and clover so it should be easy for you to forage a bit, quickly for them. And they'll leave a lot of frass (poop) that will need cleaning out. The whole process takes five minutes, feeding and all. I just dump the frass and old 'food' and start fresh :)

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book!

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.