Skip to main content

Beastly, but No Dragons

My spate of Twilight nostalgia led me to read the first book in another series favored by my kid: Sarah J. Maas's A Court of Thorns and Roses. Kat actually left behind the books when she started traveling the world, so I didn't have to buy them. This series is also making the leap to television in the near future, so it stands to become even more famous than it already is.

Let's see, a few disclaimers are in order before I get to the write up: it's fairy fantasy, which is really not my thing (blame Laurell K. Hamilton and Tolkkien for ruining fairy fantasy for me.) It's YA, I think (or what passes as YA these days) which is likewise not something I enjoy reading. It did remind me a lot of Twilight, and I really did not like that series. Finally it's a spin on Beauty and the Beast, which frankly has been done to death in all ways shapes and forms, so nothing new here. Okay, I think that covers all my prejudices and biases upfront.

The story tells the saga of a poor human girl who inadvertantly kills a fairy while hunting food for her starving family. Fairies and humans are not in any way friends, so not a big deal for her. A fairy beast then comes to demand restitution, which requires the girl to go with him into fairy land and live out her days there. It's all pretty much more of the same beauty and the beastish stuff from there.

The writing is not bad. The author echoes herself a bit, and seems to want to describe everything as the utmost beautiful or terrible whatever ever but can't quite nail it. Otherwise she does a competent job. The dialogue is probably the best element. I liked the easiness with which the characters spoke with each other. Also, there are no dragons. You know how I feel about dragons.

Unfortunately the story plods. It reads like a pantser writing without a clue and trying to work it out on the page. Some readers like that kind of near-plotless rambler that crawls along like a snail under a mountain of fantastic characters that were no doubt fun to describe but really serve no purpose except for window dressing or crisis-spawner of the moment. Me, not so much. There's really no progression in the storyline for most of the novel. Also, if this is supposed a romance -- and I still have my doubts about that -- it is slower and duller than squeaky clean Christian romance fiction with discussions of bible verses in church on every page. Passion = nada. I might read the next book in the series, just to give it a fair go, but I'm not optimistic.

If you have nothing else to read, then A Court of Thorns and Roses might fill the void. Otherwise you might just wait for the Hulu series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.