Skip to main content

Health Update

My skin treatment to remove all the precancerous patches on my face was successful, and much improved how I look, too. I'm being diligent about taking care of my skin, and will have a follow-up in January, but all the worry there is gone. Considering all I had to deal with were a few days of discomfort (and an aftermath that was basically just an ugly sunburn) I'm impressed with how well the blue light treatment works and how quickly I healed. I am not a quick healer these days.

I've also met with my new diabetes doc, who feels pretty optimistic about how I'm doing while back on the meds. My numbers have dropped consistently, and I'm being absolutely faithful to my diet. Since I refuse to take painkillers of any kind she wants me to try yoga to deal with my chronic neck pain. I do have an odd little wound on my right ankle that refuses to heal, and as feet are big issues for diabetics I'm having an ultrasound on the foot to see if there's a problem.

With my arthritis I have good and bad days, split evenly depending on how active I am. I'm beginning to have periodic stiffness and pain in both legs, which goes away once I move around a bit. Exercise seems to be helping me overall, so we're walking the dogs every night after dinner. Shadow walks so fast he forces me to tag along at a trot.

I need to lose that final thirty pounds before I reach my optimum weight, which is the real challenge. I already don't eat much, and a sedentary lifestyle is inevitable for a writer. For now I'm focusing on cutting out snacks and being sure I get up and do something physical every half-hour or so. We'll see how I do with weight loss in the months to come.

Comments

nightsmusic said…
I'm so glad the treatment helped and the worry is gone for your skin. The weight...I've lost 50 pounds, but it's because of the meds I'm taking for my ocular migraines. The other side effects are my hands and sometimes my face constantly feeling like they've fallen asleep. Makes it hard at times to hang onto anything which is already hard because my hands don't work like they used to anyway. And now with the grandbaby and watching her two days a week, I'm spending a lot of time on the floor. I'm too old for spending time on the floor! Kind of sucks getting old but it does beat the alternative, yes? Just take care of that ankle!
Maria Zannini said…
I wish Greg had your willpower when it comes to diet. I feed him diabetic friendly meals, but he still wants the bread or potatoes.
I must admit I miss having pasta and rice. I try not to lead him to temptation so I've given them up unless I make him his own meal and I make myself stir fried rice or pasta.

Good on you for being so faithful to your diet. If I send Greg to you, maybe you can retrain him. LOL! He won't listen to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.