Skip to main content

Dark Delight

Search might seem like a suspenseful military k-drama, and it is, but then it starts to get weird, spooky, and rather scary (in the good way.) All ten episodes kept me pretty much riveted, and while there are the usual coincidences and fate and whatnot, it's very well done and pretty convincing.

Set in the DMZ (the demilitarized zone, a contentious area between North and South Korea), it tells the story of military dog handler Yong Dong-Jin (played superbly by Jang Dong-yoon), who is soon to be discharged from the Army, and is sent on one last field mission to find a missing soldier. Dong-jin is a complicated character, all at once friendly, charming, aggressive and confrontational. I really liked how well the actor handled this difficult role, too.

For the final mission Dong-jin joins a fairly elite group of soldiers that includes, unfortunately, his ex-girlfriend Son ye-rim (also very well played by Jung Soo-jung.) The Team Leader, Captain Song Min-gyu (of course the role went to everyone's favorite actor to play handsome psychos, Yoon Park), is a massive jerk that Dong-Jin knows was in big trouble only a few days before being assigned to the operation. Along with a very capable cast of supporting actors, the group then goes out into the DMZ to find the missing soldier -- and that's when things get very weird very fast, and the team realizes there's something inhuman hunting them.

For a short series Search really packed a lot of action, emotion, conflict and backstory into every episode. It does get dark at times, but never to the point where I felt overloaded. There are flashbacks from the past that hints at what's to come, but doesn't spoil the surprises toward the end. The portrayal of how soldiers are treated and used seemed very realistic, as did the way they used the dogs while out on the mission. I don't want to say too much about the weirdness involved in the story, except to note that while it was a pretty big stretch I was willing to go along for the ride. The final conclusion of the series might not make everyone happy, but it seemed logical to end it that way to me.

There are some animal deaths in the series that are well-handled but may still be triggering, so be warned. I recommend it for anyone who likes weirdness with their military stories. Available on Viki.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.