Skip to main content

Break Up Already

Sometimes k-dramas have all the elements to make a blockbuster series (great actors, cool story line, excellent plot twists, etc.) and even start off with a couple of episodes anyone would call wonderful. Then something happens and they go flat and become repetitious. That's pretty much the whole story with Now, We Are Breaking Up.

I am absolutely going to trot out spoilers, so if you don't want to know stop reading.

To be fair, the story for this series could have been stellar: overworked and underappreciated fashion designer has a one-night stand with a hot guy and then walks away without even knowing his name, because that's how she rolls. She also doesn't know that the guy is the hottest and most unattainable fashion photographer in the business. Or that he's the younger brother of the man whom she believes unceremoniously dumped her ten years ago. Or that she's been blamed by hot guy's family all this time for the death of that brother, as he didn't dump her but died in a car crash on his way to her after drinking a lot with the wealthy fiancee who chased after him and actually caused the accident. Or that as a no-name photographer the hot guy took a bad photo that the fashion designer bought on the street, which made him decide to keep working at his photography and also has been the only thing that gets her through the next ten years of misery.

It's Korean, so all the destiny and coincidences and parents making their kids' lives miserable are pretty much standard. Anyway, after all that, of course hot guy falls completely in love with fashion designer, who takes a little longer to do the same with him.

There's a kissing scene toward the end of Episode 3 that marks the end of the wonderful and the start of the flat and repetitious. From the moment these two characters decide they're falling in love with each other, all they do is walk around and hug and give little speeches about love to each other while literally everyone in their lives tries to break them up. Her boss decides she wants hot guy for herself. The former fiancee of the dead brother tries to sabotage the designer's career. The designer's divorcing parents (whom she's financially supported all this time) go berserk and forbid the relationship; hot guy's step mother (who is a truly genteel monster) even threatens to kill herself if they don't break up.

And then after a couple more walks, hugs and noble love speeches, they break up and go their separate ways. They meet up again two years later and smile at each other. That's it.

Taking thirteen episodes to do what could have been done in one was a genuine shame. The waste of the actors was a horrible shame, too; the two leads are not only beautiful to look at but very good at acting, too. The secondary cast did a fine job with their roles, and most of the time were even more interesting than the leads, which is the only reason I kept watching the series. It showcases lots of interesting conservative clothes, if you're into Asian modern fashion, but otherwise I can't recommend it past episode 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.