Skip to main content

Grand Finale

Last month we wrapped up spring cleaning by renting a Bissell Big Green machine so we could clean all the carpets (I should say my guy did 100% of the cleaning and I did most of the moving and rearranging of stuff.)

Our carpets are original to the construction of the house, which means they're twenty-seven years old. I've been taking care of them for nineteen years by vaccuuming every room weekly, and we had them cleaned about every one to two years. The last couple of years we've done the cleaning ourselves because it's just gotten too expensive to have the pros do it.

Anyone who has cleaned their own carpets knows what a huge pain it is to prep for it. Yet once we had the machine and he got going, we were able to clean all the carpets in the house in about eight hours.

We live with two dogs, so keeping the carpets perfectly clean is pretty much impossible. But we do our best, and keep them in generally acceptable condition. I think we've gotten the most life out of our carpets by regularly cleaning them. The house always smells wonderful for weeks after we do this too.

This may be the last time we clean any carpets. We've been talking about tiling the house next year, and if I have my way we'll eliminate all the carpeting.

Comments

Maria Zannini said…
They look amazing for 27 years old.

I love carpeting, but with dogs it's a nightmare. I was glad when I did half the house in tile.

I've got three bedrooms that still have carpeting. I must admit that in the one bedroom that I use, I throw old sheets on the floor. This way the dogs can sleep with me and I don't have to worry about fur and smells.

Every week I throw the sheets in the laundry. It looks weird, but I'm the only one who sees it. If guests come over and I have to give up my bedroom I can do so knowing the floor is fresh.

Weird, I know, but it saves me time (and wear and tear) in the long run.

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.