Skip to main content

The Long Way

I thought I was done with C-dramas, but then I saw a trailer for Road Home and decided to give it a try. Thirty episodes later I was still absorbed, a little puzzled and definitely impressed, although it's going to be tough to explain I liked this second chance at love series so much (unless you grew up in the sixties. Then you might understand.)

Here's the backstory: While in high school rich girl Gui Xiao (Tan Song Yun) meets poor boy Lu Chen (Jing Bo Ran), and they basically fall for each other at first sight. There are flashbacks to their first relationship throughout the series, too, so you know where they came from. After graduation they try to stay together, but Lu Chen goes off to the police academy, while Gui Xiao starts university. Maintaining the long-distance relationship becomes more difficult for both of them, as Lu Chen is a very mature, proud guy of few words and Gui Xiao is immature, talkative and emotional. When her parents get divorced, and his training becomes exhaustive, the couple finally break up.

Ten years later Gui Xiao works in the world of finance and investment, while Lu Chen is a SWAT Captain who specializes in explosive ordinance disposal. They basically live on different planets now, but when Gui Xiao and her coworkers become stranded where Lu Chen is stationed, he's the one she calls. They both realize that they still care for each other, and decide to give long-distance romance another go.

Upfront I have to say that this is a very G-rated romance, and develops so slowly it can be (and does sometimes become) boring. Most of the relationship was scripted to be so unrealistic (and politically correct for China) that it would never work in the west. Also, what Lu Chen does to Gui Xiao through both relationships while always putting his job first is likely to be a little hard for Western women to swallow. For me the way Lu Chen's lifelong problem with his drunken, abusive father is resolved evidently by magic didn't work, as Dad just decides one day to stop being a jerk (which does not happen in real life.)

That said, I found the story oddly charming, thanks to the intensity of the actors. They do not rush or overact their parts through this series. Weirdly it reminded me of a sixties romance, like Gidget, only from a Chinese POV. Although their priorities seem rather screwed up, everyone in the series does behave like an adult. There are no characters sabotaging the relationship or competing for the lead's affections, as is often the case in C-dramas. While there are subplots, mostly involved in Lu Chen's bomb disposal work, they're very much in the background and don't ruin the series. I've seen both lead actors in other productions, and they really brought their A game to this one. I think Jing Bo Ran was especially fabulous at playing Lu Chen's tight-lipped, complex character. Available on Viki.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.