Skip to main content

Dollar Store Buys

With the ever-increasing and pretty unreasonable prices at the market I've had to alter my shopping strategies, so I thought I'd share what's working for me. Today I'd like to show you why I'm making regular trips to our local dollar store. Technically it's $1.25 store now that they've raised their prices, but you can still find some low-cost alternatives to pricier products you use all the time.

Here are two lighters we use around the house and out at the fire pit in the yard. The Scripto lighter on the right is one I paid $2.99 for at Publix; the unbranded lighter on the left was $1.25 at Dollar Tree (difference: $1.74). There is no difference between them except that the unbranded lighter doesn't have a safety lock on it. Since it's becoming hard for me to use locking lighters with my arthrits the unbranded is the superior product for me.

I've been making our hand soap for 2+ years because it was impossible to find anywhere, but now it's back on the shelves. The Mrs. Meyers Clean Day handsoap was $4.89 at Target (I bought this for Katherine 3 years ago); the Bath & Beauty handsoap was $1.25 at Dollar Tree (difference: $3.64). Now, there is 1.25 more ounces of product in the Mrs. Meyers handsoap, and it is liquid handsoap rather than foaming like the Bath & Beauty, but since we prefer foaming handsoap it's no contest. Also, the Bath & Beauty has a lighter fragrance, and has a green/pear-scented variety that's nice for the kitchen.

My guy still uses bar soap for showering, but I prefer body wash. The Dial Lavender & Jasmine body wash was $7.69 at Target when I bought it for Katherine last December; the Silkience body wash was $1.25 at Dollar Tree (difference: $6.44). Again there's a size difference (Dial is 32 oz.; Silkience is 24 oz.) and the Silkience is not as thick as the Dial. Still, for the price I can buy six bottles of the Silkience for what I pay for one bottle of Dial, and I actually prefer the scent of the Silkience.

I do not often venture into the food aisles at Dollar Tree as I'm still a little leery of the quality of those products. Yet on my last trip I came across a real bargain on Suddenly Pasta Salad. The one on the right was $2.99 at Publix; the one on the left was $1.25 at Dollar Tree (difference $1.74). They are the same product, just different sizes. Here's the problem it solves: my guy and I can never finish the larger size pricier pasta salad, and I usually end up tossing the leftovers, so a smaller size is better for us. Also, if I want to make a larger batch I can just make two boxes, which would still be cheaper than the big box.

Comments

Maria Zannini said…
We just got back from the Dollar Store--also a buck and a quarter now. Greg likes to buy mouthwash there. We also picked up those flat disc batteries.

We were at our neighbors' annual potluck get-togethers and I noticed she had pinwheels in her garden to ward off birds. She said she'd had good luck with them so I picked up a couple at the Dollar store to see if they'll help my garden. If it works I'll pick up some more.

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.