Skip to main content

H2O SF

I've been avoiding SF shows and movies for a while, but after being dazzled by Happiness last year I decided to take a chance and watch The Silent Sea, a Korean near-future dystopian lunar adventure series on NetFlix. It turned out to be a pretty good choice.

This series begins on an Earth with rapidly-dwindling water resources, which isn't all that far a reach from the reality facing the real world in a few decades. Water becomes far more valuable than petroleum or gold, and people are subjected to strict rationing, are compelled to euthanize their pets, and as you'd expect live generally miserable lives -- it's pretty much like Dune without the sand worms and still suits. Meanwhile, a team of scientists and soldiers are sent on a mission to a base on the moon abandoned five years earlier to retrieve some samples left behind there.

From the moment this crew blasts off you know things aren't what they seem. The lead astrobiologist's sister died at the abandoned base along with everyone who worked there, and it's obvious from the start that she's going to find out why. The captain of the crew is remarkably tight-lipped about every detail of the mission. After crash-landing and losing their first crew member to his injuries, they finally fight their way to the base. Then things just get stranger as they discover what they were sent for, how everyone died five years ago, and the fact that someone (or something) is still alive at the base, and wants to kill them.

I thought the production and casting of The Silent Sea was quite impressive, and while not as special-effects heavy as most SF shows did a fine job of convincing me everyone was actually on the moon. The cast all did very well with their roles, particularly Gong Yoo as the crew captain Han, Bae Doona as astrobiologst Song and Kim Sun-Young as the mission's physician. The story is rife with irony and rock/hard place choices, but also offers a plausible and (to me) very realistic look at just what the human race will do to survive.

It's possible Netflix will greenlight a second season for The Silent Sea, but I'd personally leave it where it ended, as it made me think a lot -- and I'm not sure I want to know what happens next. :) I do recommend this one as an interesting SF series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.