Skip to main content

Bit of a Letdown

I went so far as to buy a UK edition of Someone to Cherish, Mary Balogh's latest Westcott novel, and after reading it I regretted that a little. I think there's a point in a long novel series when you have to stop trotting out all the main characters from the previous books for cameos, and you really must quit providing all their backstory, too.

There are something like eight or nine couples now in this saga, and yep, they all show up in this novel (again) and we hear all about what happened with them (again.) Which is nice for new readers, I suppose, but how many new readers do you think are going to pick up the eighth or ninth book in a series? Honestly the backstoryitis took up like a quarter of the book this time, and seriously distracted me from Harry and Lydia's story. So that's my chief gripe.

Someone to Cherish is a nice story, but it missed a lot of opportunities. This book featured Harry Westcott, the son of the bigamous Earl of Riverdale, who ran away and joined the army after losing his title and inheritance and legitimate birth. He was originally one of the most interesing characters in the first novel, so I was looking forward to seeing more of his story. Problem is, there isn't much of one. Harry really doesn't have much presence as a main character, which is weird.

Harry moves to the country and lives in a nice manor, and casually takes interest in his widowed neighbor, Lydia Travenor. Neither of them are interested in marriage, but they do start a friendship and then (if you can call one night together this) an affair. Their chemistry with each other was pretty believable, and I liked the realism of their relationship.

The problem is that Lydia is the widow of a much-beloved pastor, and the nosy, sharp-eyed villagers expect her to mourn him forever. P.S., the pastor was secretly a religious nut who insisted after they got married that he and Lydia live as brother and sister, not husband and wife. I've never seen a dead villain who pissed me off more than this guy, either. Anyway, of course the village finds out that Harry and Lydia are romantically involved, and the social tarring and feathering of Lydia begins.

My second gripe about this book is the romance between Harry and Lydia, which seems to magically work itself out with no actual explanation. One minute they're resolved to be friends and have a nice quiet affair, the next everything blows up in their faces, and suddenly they're in love with each other. The rest of the Westcotts descend on the village and simply add to the confusion with their scenes, backstories, new kids, etc.

Mary Balogh's writing is wonderful, and I will forgive a keeper author a lot. I just wish it hadn't been this story. It would have been great to let Harry live up to his promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.