Skip to main content

Look Back

The annual look back over what I've made this past year was fun as usual (I'm just running late with writing a post about it), but it's also shown me that I've made it a habit now to step outside my comfort zone. The art prompts I did way back in January set that tone for 2023, I think.

Recycling and upcycling was always on my mind, as was my resolution not to buy new if I could instead thrift it. 2023 brought me new resources and taught me one very big lesson: you don't have to spend a lot of money to get nice materials for your projects.

The last twelve months also taught me more about my increasing limitations, especially with hand work. Making this kit wasn't easy, but it remains one of my favorite projects of the year.

I maxed out on sample garments to upcycle and repair (I still have a pile to work on) but I had fun finishing this lacy tunic.

Making a little quilt out of some gifted crazy blocks helped me remember Mom in a productive way.

While making these UFO Dresden plate patchwork pieces into pillows for my office sofa I had trigger finger set in on both hands, but eventually I found splints to help with that.

I kept up with my art quilting, and finished some interesting larger projects.

I also stopped trying to control everything. Making this quilt from a pound of thrifted clothing fabric chosen by someone else was definitely a blast.

I didn't make a lot of bags in 2023, but the few I did made me happy.

Working with fabric I'd thrifted to make things like this project bag always gave me a sense of satisfaction, too. One less yard going to the landfill . . . .

Another of my favorite thrifts: this little folding tray, which I use as an editing desk.

I did a lot of lot buying, often via auctions online. One of my favorite thrifted wins from this year was the collection of quilt kits that I've been making into things like this bread cover/table pad.

I even tried diamond painting again, and it didn't kill me.

Neither did cross stitch.

My one major accomplishment for 2023 was finishing the recycled linen quilt I started in 2022. For this one I used only scrap linen for the patchwork, and hand embroidery for the quilting and embellishing. Designing this and making it by hand with slow stitch allowed me to feel a strong connection to the past, and all the makers who came before me and machines.

Toward the end of the year I started crocheting again, and found it was good exercise for my stiff fingers.

I also found a way to knit again using a loom.

One idea that came out exactly as I envisioned it was turning a lot of faux vintage pearl jewelry into Christmas trees.

I also learned how to make amigurumi creatures with crochet.

I'm proud that I thrifted almost everything I needed for my quilting, textile and yarn projects this year, but I also discovered some real gems mixed in with the faux. This gorgeous art quilt, for example, came from a lot of three small quilts I won for a bid of $9.99.

Likewise no one challenged me for this adorable original watercolor that I bid $14.95 on in hopes of winning it as new art for my home office. It was painted by a pro who once worked in the film industry, but it's the quilt show it depicts and the beautiful colors that drew me.

I also learned to check everything I thrifted carefully and do my research. When I thrifted that seven pounds of faux pearls for my Christmas tree project, I found a couple of real, valuable pieces like this cultured pearl necklace with a 10K gold clasp mixed in the lot.

Finishing the calendar scroll project gave me a great deal of satisfaction, too.

What I think changed for me last year was the sense of joy I get from creating. In years past I've always liked what I've made, but the majority of it was made as a gift or with the intention of making someone else happy, so there was also a fair amount of stress involved. In 2023 I did almost none of that, but simply made things for the sake of making and practicing and learning. I was happier last year than I've been in a long time, and I think that's the reason. I just pleased myself for once, and that made all the difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.