Skip to main content

Scaling Back, Dining Well

This was the bento box meal I ordered when we took Kat out to her favorite Japanese restaurant over the holidays. Like a lot of my dining out experiences it's becoming a fond memory, because it's just too expensive to eat out anymore.

Since going out to lunch now costs $20.00 for the two of us, and dinner runs $35.00 to $40.00, we're dining at home almost exclusively now. This doesn't instantly tame our food budget either; prices at the market require us to shop at four different stores to get the foods we need for the least amount of $$$. I've become an aggressive bargain hunter, too, and never pass up a good deal on anything I regularly use.

I want us to eat well, too, but inflation has prompted me to make some changes to how I cook. When I used to make my guy's favorite pasta sauce I thought nothing of adding a pound of lean ground beef (which is now $10.00/lb.). Not anymore; I've cut back on the meat in that recipe to 1/4 of a pound. That still gives it the flavor he likes, we've discovered, and I can make a pound of ground beef stretch to make a quadruple batch, which helps when I freeze portions for future meals.

I make my guy aware of the cost of pricey foods now, and what he can do to help out with the budget. He used to go through a dozen eggs per week making three fried egg sandwiches for breakfast whenever he wanted them (every other day, really); I've asked him to only make them once a week now and have cereal, waffles, english muffins or bagels instead, which are better for him anyway.

Another thing I'm doing is making half-batches, especially when I try a new recipe for something. I wanted to taste-test a new slow-cooker chili recipe, but I didn't want to waste ingredients if we didn't like it. So I made a half-batch (and we liked it, but it needs some tweaks with the heat level and the ingredients, so I was glad I made a smaller batch.) I also make my staple quickie dinners with less ingredients so I can eliminate any waste. That means two cans of tuna instead of four when I make tuna salad, but my guy and I can eat it for dinner and there's still enough for a sandwich for lunch the next day.

No leftovers go to waste in this house, but I find we get recipe fatigue if I make the same thing over and over, as we're probably going to be eating it for two or three nights. To combat this I'm trying new recipes at least once a week again, and also discussing the week's menu with my guy before we do our weekly shopping to assure I've got things planned that he wants to eat.

Scaling back while dining well puts a lot of pressure on me, both in the shopping and cooking phases, but as any woman will tell you, what else is new? I do what I can to keep my spirits up, and trying new recipes definitely helps. I also give myself permission not to cook if I don't feel like it. That's when my guy gets tuna salad sandwiches, or some of the frozen pizza bread he likes for dinner (as long as I can find them on sale.)

Comments

Maria Zannini said…
Our restaurants must be higher priced. Our lunches are rarely less than $25. Like you, we've scaled way back and only eat out when we're too far from home.

We have chickens so eggs are overflowing right now. We also hooked up with a neighbor who bought herself half a cow. She couldn't store it all so I bought some from her. It was better than the grocery store, so I've already asked to buy some more meat from her.

Vegetables are in short supply though and I spend a lot for them at the store. It's time to plant.

If you have a Costco near you, stock up on their canned chicken when it goes on sale. It makes great chicken salad sandwiches. Their rotisserie chicken is good too. I use the leftovers to make chicken fajitas with grilled onions and peppers. It's another family favorite.

Inflation has made cooking incredibly frustrating. I miss going out to eat too.

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.