Skip to main content

Kind of a Mess, But Still

At times it was almost painful for me to watch the k-drama series My Shy Boss, so it took me a couple of months to get through all of the the episodes. I think most socially awkward introverts who have been tormented by others over their shyness would feel the same. Although it has some major flaws, especially in the way the script was written, in the end I think it's worth seeing.

As CEO of a PR firm, Eun Hwan-gi (Yeon Woo-jin) occupies a penthouse suite and mostly avoids his employees, social situations and anything that would require him to speak in front of a large group or be the center of attention. He's also taken the blame for the suicide of his secretary, Chae Ji-hye (Han Chae-ah), after a tragic incident that involved his future brother-in-law and best friend Kang U-il (Yoon Park). Over the three years since Ji-hye's death Hwan-gi has kept watch over her younger sister Chae Ro-un, a stage actress with whom he falls in love.

Unaware of her secret admirer/protector, Chae Ro-un (Park Hye-soo) blames Hwan-gi for Ji-hye's death, as she believes he's a psycopath who drove her sister to kill herself. To take revenge and expose Hwan-gi while finding out all the facts about what caused the suicide, she gets a job with his company and begins digging and tormenting Hwan-gi. She manages to make Hwan-gi look like an overprivileged ass to the media, but gradually discovers he's not at all what she assumed. As she begins falling for her shy boss, the past comes back to haunt everyone involved in the night that led to Ji-hye's death.

Extroverts and party people may find Hwan-gi's character hilarious, and the series does set up some comical scenarios, but he wasn't funny to me. I felt his panic and distress in every situation as if it were my own. The hardest scenes to watch were when he has to deal with his politician father, who is loud, domineering and treats his son like garbage. Imagine being beaten, despised and screamed at by your parent for simply being shy and quiet.

I also didn't particular care for Chae Ro-un's character, as she came off to me as abrasive, clueless, shallow and wholly undeserving of Hwan-gi. By the end of the series I felt she redeemed herself slightly, but her romance with Hwan-gi really didn't work for me. I would have written off Chae Ro-un and instead paired Hwan-gi with his ex from college -- that's how much I didn't like her.

The story's central plot felt a bit too convoluted and over-done, especially as new revelations about Ji-hye's suicide never seem to stop coming. The resolutions were either non-existant or unsatisfying, too. It was as if the script writers had to keep throwing in extra conflicts to make the drama work. A lot of the problems in this series were also solved by the characters' acceptance, nothing more, which didn't make sense to me. So that's the other major flaw.

The reason I didn't give up on My Shy Boss was the acting job Yeon Woo-jin did with the title role. I fell in love with this guy, and I think he carried the whole series with his incredible performance. He had me so sympathetic that I couldn't stop watching; I had to know if Hwan-gi would get through it all in the end. I also thought his character was the most absorbing and true to life. An actor who can convince you that his character is real is top-tier talent, so I'll be on the lookout for Yeon Woo-jin now. Available to watch on Netflix in the US.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.