Skip to main content

Falling for the Boss

If you like funny office romances with a touch of drama, there's nothing that can top What's Wrong with Secretary Kim?. I liked it so much I'll probably watch this one a dozen times.

After nine years of working tirelessly as an executive secretary to pay off her family's debts, Kim Mi-so (Park Min-young) decides to quit her high-pressure job so she can start living her life. She wants to do all the things she's never had time to while working in her demanding position, like date, find a nice guy to marry and start a family. She informs her narcissistic boss, CEO Lee Young-joon (Park Seo-joon) that she's quitting for personal reasons, and begins the process of finding her replacement.

At first Young-joon appears to take the resignation in stride, but he's stunned. Mi-so is so much a part of his life that he can't imagine being without her. To tempt her to stay he offers her some serious new benefits, including a promotion to director, but she refuses. He becomes determined to find out the real reason why she's decided to quit, and stop her. Once he learns she wants to get married, he tells her to keep her job and proposes to marry her himself. He's dumbfounded when she turns him down flat, but not for long. He decides to romance Secretary Kim during her last month at the company, and persuade her to stay and accept him as a husband.

As characters Mi-so and Young-joon are both comically over-the-top, as she's a legend of secretarial perfection, and he's so much in love with himself there's no room in his heart for anyone else (or so we think.) As the series goes on we gradually learn why Young-joon is actually so attached to Mi-so, and the nightmarish trauma from childhood that they share. Add to this mix Young-joon's handsome but hostile brother, Mi-so's older sisters who hate Young-joon, a delightful bunch of co-workers who are in the midst of two other budding romances, and you have the recipe for a wonderful k-drama.

I've always liked Park Min-young, but watching her act this demanding part in four-inch-heels and pencil skirts just blew me away. She runs in those outfits, which all women know is almost physically impossible. She's the perfect Mi-so, too; I can't imagine any other actress pulling off this part with such grace. Park Seo-joon has been called the master of romantic comedy, and this series proves it without a doubt. He's so funny at times I almost laughed myself into the hiccups. Aside from the fact that he's a big, beautiful guy, he also portrays an amazing range of emotions in a character that seems at first as shallow as a puddle.

As for the romance, expect lots of hand-holding, hugging and fairly chaste kissing, but also a couple of love scenes that are actually pretty racy for a k-drama (basically PG by our standards.) The real draw are some of the scenes the main characters have together as their relationship changes from boss and secretary to young lovers. I thought the final proposal was the best and most beautiful romantic scene I've ever seen.

I bought this series on DVD from Amazon because it's not available on Netflix, but you may be able to find it on another international streaming site. This fan-made video gives some cute highlights of the series if you want to see more:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing

This was my fabric stash once I sorted everything -- 22 full bins. I spent a day taking out and boxing up what I could part with, with the goal of trying to reduce it by half, so I'd have 11 bins. I was very strict with myself, and removed everything that for one reason or another I was sure I wouldn't be able to use. This is what I ended up with -- 12 bins of fabric that I'm keeping. It's not quite half, but close enough. Half of what I took out went to a local quilter friend, a school and Goodwill. These four tightly-packed bins will be going to the local quilting guild once I make arrangements with them for a drop-off place. I am relieved and a little sad and now determined to control my impulses to thrift more fabric. I don't want to do this again, so until I use up six bins, I can't for any reason bring any new fabric into the house.

In Progress

I promised myself I would show you the good, bad and ugly of my cleaning this year. This is what it looks like when you dump thirty years' worth of stashed fabric on the floor -- and oy, what a pain in the butt to pick up again! This is what it looks like after it's been sorted, folded and placed in containers, which took me about a week. Now the hard part is to downsize my stash by at least half, I think (that's my goal, anyway.) I've already e-mailed the president of the local quilting guild, a local friend who is a quilter, and a public school art teacher I know to see if I can donate some of the excess to them. The rest will go to Goodwill. Already I've reduced my vintage textiles from two bins to one, and my scraps from three bins to one. It's probably the hardest clean-out I've done, which is why I saved it until last. I know I have too much fabric, more than I can use in my lifetime -- but at the same time, I love it. So I have to

Other Stashes

Along with clearing out the spare bedroom and tidying my office and our guest bedroom, I decided to reorganize some of my stashes. This is all the yarn I have on hand, sorted by color. It looks like a lot, but lately I've been using up a minimum of half a bin every month, so this is approximately a year's supply. All of my solid color cotton perle thread. I go through a lot of this every year, too. I need a container in which I can fit all of it together, but I haven't found the right one yet. I won't show you all of my fabric -- I'm still reorganizing this stash -- but I went through everything and donated two bins of fabric I won't need to the local quilter's guild.